Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Attn: Twilight Fans

So, many of you Twilight readers have probably heard about Stephenie Meyer's decision. Someone released an unfinished draft of Midnight Sun. Stephenie Meyer was so upset that she decided to postpone Midnight Sun indefinitely.

I was so upset about this. I have loved the Twilight series and was so excited to read Edward's account. There was so much I wanted to see inside his head. So, I am furious with Meyer. I understand its not her fault entirely. I understand she is probably really frustrated with who posted the draft online. She is probably hurt from the betrayal of her trust. But in a selfish light, I AM SO MAD AT HER.
I know it isn't her fault it got released, but why is it my fault? Why am I and so many fans that didn't search and find the draft getting punished?

Maybe I should just get over the horrible obsession I have and deal with the fact that the series is over. I have accepted the fact that the series is done and I feel like she ended well with Breaking Dawn. I think that if she dragged it out any longer it would kill the story. But I was looking forward to Edward's story from Twilight. What he was thinking when he stares her down, when he follows her to Port Angeles, in the meadow, at the prom, etc.

I was hoping some of you other Twilight junkies could help me get over this with some insight. Either that or make me feel better by admitting you feel the same. I think the thing that infuriates me most is I have not seen a comment by anyone saying they are upset that Meyer is not going to write Midnight Sun anymore.

For anyone who is interested, she posted the draft that was released prematurely on her website so that everyone could read it now that she is not going to finish it. If you want to read it and her account of what happened, click here. The link to the draft is at the end of her announcement.

4 comments:

Jana Perkins said...

I agree that we are punished over what someone else did and I did get a little mad too. But I can see why Stephanie said she can't write anymore. The way she feels affects the way she would write, and I for one what the real story of Edward from Stephanie herself with no outside influences. So, I think she will write it one day, but it's just really tough to wait when we did nothing wrong. Arrgh!

Holmes said...

I know it is quite a hard break, but for me at least the partial draft ended at a spot that although I wanted more at least their relationship was out in the open and we get to see how that came about from his point of view. Mike is happy it is over because I read the partial draft in one day and neglected the house.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I just started the series and I was already getting excited about reading Edwards version. That sucks.

P.S. I am 1/4 of the way into New Moon.

Christal said...

I was pretty upset when I read it too. Why should I be punished for some stupid person posting it! But... I guess there is nothing we can do. I can see her point too. But.. I wanted to read it too, no win situation!