Thursday, January 21, 2010

Two Posts in One Week? Maybe I'm back for real!


Davon has graduated from his infant car seat. About, 99.5% of the time when my kids have momentous occasions that show they are growing up, I cry. I get sad, but happy, but sad that they are growing up. I am way too aware that this will not last forever. One day I will wake up and they will be teenagers or they will be in college OR they will be married having children of their own.


Today, my friends, I am not crying. I am celebrating! Every time I would put Davon in his infant seat, he would scream. I'd have to push him back because there is no way he wanted to lay down to get strapped in and deal with it. Sometimes the screaming was ten times harder because he would comfort himself with his thumb and I would have to pull it away from him to get the straps on him. Now he just sits in his big seat and looks at me while I strap him in. No screaming! :) And he looks like he is thinking, "I am cool." I know he probably isn't, but thats just the way he looks; like he is totally comfortable and "Duh, mom. This is the way it should be."


This is his "new" seat, courtesy of Lucas. Yes, I know, these are lame pictures. Where is the baby? Well the baby was sleeping when I took these and I didn't think of taking pictures of him in the seats until it was too late. Sorry.

This means that Lucas has graduated to a booster seat! No pictures though! Because when I went to take a picture of his empty booster seat I realized it was a little pathetic that I was taking pictures of empty car seats. Now LUCAS is excited. He is so happy to be able to unbuckle his seatbelt all by himself. He is also excited to buckle his own seatbelt, though right now he requires a little help. I am only allowed to pull the seatbelt out though. I get a lecture if I actually snap the buckle in.

I also put the bottles away today! Now this doesn't every really have a lot of significance to me because I nurse 99.6% of the time, but I feel it is symbolic. I am done nursing. I will and DO miss it deeply, but when my baby hits one year old, I am so done! I am ready to reclaim what is mine for a little while.

Below is a close up of the blanket my mother-in-law made Davon for his birthday. I LOVE IT. Also, since she washed it first, it currently smells like Grandma's house. I hope my kids notice this eventually. I love it!



Doesn't Davon look thrilled? It is deceiving because this picture is a little past his bedtime and he is ready to get in his bed and snuggle this blanket. THANKS GRANDMA! I love all the bright colors. I think its beautiful.

9 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

I LOVE that blanket! I didn't know that Kenzi could be in a booster! She would probably love it. Way to go on not crying!!! I get emotional too.

Our ABC Family said...

Way cute blanket! And I'm with you Courtney, I bawl every time Aaden hits a new mile stone. I hope I will eventually get over it and be able to suck it up, but for now I give in. Thanks for sharing your story about your little guy and his girl friend as well. It helps to know I'm not the only mom having to deal with "Girls" at age 3 and 4!

Adrienne said...

great blanket. I've been wanting to take the kids old clothes that are too worn out to donate and make something like that.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

WOW....I am impressed!

I know what you mean, I am a sad Momma too. I don't want them to grow but at times...I need them to!
I do love the quilt. What a lucky baby to snuggle that at night!!

(P.S. I like the pictures!!)

Courtney said...

That blanket is so cute! What an awesome gift he will treasure for a long time. And Yay for graduating in to car seats! I'm glad Davon likes his.

Syme Family said...

I can't believe he is already a year. He is so cute. And getting so big. I love that blanket it is so cute. It makes me want to sew so bad but I just don't have the energy. Are you still sewing? I am still jealous of your sewing room and all you space.

The Crace's said...

I love the blanket!

Carolyn said...

I also love the blanket! I am going to switch Grant (9 months) to an upright carseat because apparently at 22 pounds they are too big for the carriers. I wouldn't know that because I have never even had a baby at 20 lbs by 1 year. They are usually 18 months when I switch them-out of feeling sorry for them at that point because they are still not 20 pounds. It looks like you had a fun Christmas and birthdays. Your boys birthdays are all close together. That is how my June is.

Unknown said...

It is hard to put away the baby stuff. . . but I'm sure you'll be getting it out again :) We are going to be in SLC for about a week in March. It would be fun to get together with you one day!