Friday, January 30, 2009

Feeling: Jittery; Excited

As of 6:00 pm today, it will be the weekend. I am so excited for the weekend. I don't think I have ever been so excited for the weekends ever! And it is all thanks to my beautiful three boys. The way I feel, you would think I am going to Disneyland or the Bahamas or Europe. But no, that is not it. Now this weekend is a little more hectic because we will be taking on 5 children for the first time Saturday night. My brothers are coming to stay with us. Sunday, for the super bowl, I believe we will be going to the in-laws house. This will be Davon's first long time away from home. He has been for multiple car rides and has been to the store once.

But the real excitement for this weekend is the time I get to spend with my husband. Now some of this time is spent sleeping because he is wonderful and pities me. Every weekend morning he either takes the boys and shuts me and Davon in our room and lets me sleep or in the afternoon he takes all three while I disappear to our nice comfy bed where I sleep for as long as I want. This is what gets me through the week. The knowledge that I will be getting a little extra sleep goes a long way.

The other thing I love about the weekends is taking the time to listen and watch. Ever since Davon has been born I have noticed Jake playing with the boys more. They play camping where they go fishing for Gooey Fish and sometimes catch old boots, tires, and underwear. They sword fight and run around the house saying, "Force push!" or "Force Field!" We read lots of books and do lots of cuddling. They jump on the bed, well, Jake doesn't but he stands next to the bed and plays with them. Lucas and Caden love spending time with their dad. And I love watching it.

We spend lots of time watching sports; basketball, football, and a recent addition, tennis. Now previously I would have had a cow over sports all the time. But now, I ask Jake, "Who's playing tonight?" Now this is probably because we don't have much time together anymore. Now we snuggle while Jake watches sports and I read. I have never loved sports so much. I listen to him and watch some of the games. We talk about players, coaches, strategy, etc. And we talk about my book too. But mostly we cuddle with little Davon and talk about how incredibly lucky we are and how we hope the boys know how loved they are.

The funny thing is, I thought three would be a huge strain on our relationship. And we are tired a lot. We are busy ALL the time. But this chaotic time in our lives just makes me love Jake even more and cherish any time we have together. It is funny how the little things we used to fight about (like watching so much sports) don't matter at all to me anymore.

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend as much as I know I will.

6 comments:

Adrienne said...

it's so fun to watch a dad with his kids. I'm glad he's so nice to let you sleep

Courtney said...

That is so great that Jake lets you sleep and takes the boys. I feel the same way when Blake has time off from work. It makes me appreciate the time we live in instead of a time where women took care of the kids and the men stayed out of it. Enjoy the weekend!

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I am so happy that you two are so happy.
I know how you feel. It is so great to have such an awesome relationship where there is respect and love!
Enjoy your weekend! I will too!

Aloha_Misty said...

I hope that Greg can someday spare a moment so I can sleep! WE will just have to see if that ever happens :) Your post made me smile, and your comments too. I know it is going to be hard and that scares me. But, at the same time it is nice to hear that you are surviving! Maybe I can do this???? I guess we will see sometime soon...

Hoenes Family said...

That is really great Courtney. I hope I feel the same way you do when I have three. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Carolyn said...

I'm glad you are doing so well after three. And I totally understand the sleep thing. Glad you got a great hubby! You deserve it!