Thursday, December 4, 2008

I love Christmas!


If you have known me long, you know that this statement has not always been true. I have spent my entire life juggling families on Christmas day. Now I should say, since I have so many people that I love and love me, Christmas is a wonderful time. But my previous opinion of Christmas has been, "Why do we submit ourselves to so much DRAMA?"

Now having kids has slowly changed my perspective. I love making Christmas chains and making Christmas treats. Okay lets be honest. I suck at baking. So we are lucky if we get one treat and hopefully it was edible. Last year we painted Christmas ornaments. I love putting the tree up and decorating it with the kids. They whine the whole time I am trying to get the tree up and only help decorate for about 5 minutes, but their excitement and that 5 minutes of decorating with Christmas music in the background is great. This year we found a tree on sale, so we got a new 7 foot tree to replace our cute little 4 footer that we had in Aggie Village. It makes me feel so good to have a big tree just like mom and dad! I also love hanging lights. I used to hang them high on our porch in AV. My balance sucks, so I think Jake was grateful that I didn't risk my life this year. Now we just need to get a ladder so that he can risk his this year putting them on the roof!

Another thing that has changed over the last few years is how I feel about Christmas music. Jake loves Christmas music. We used to spend a lot of time fighting over when it was okay to listen to Christmas music. We still don't start it until after Thanksgiving, but I love it now. Speaking of, can anyone help me? What is that song on the movie Elf called? The one where she is singing in the shower at the mall and so Will Ferrell hears the Christmas music and comes in to sing with her. I love that song. My new favorite though is "Over the River and Through the Woods." Caden learned this song at school and now sings it at home. I love when he sings.

6 comments:

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Kids make such a HUGE difference. They really know how to enjoy things. I love your tree. Congrats on graduating to the 7 footer!!!

The Crace's said...

"Baby, it's cold outside." I'm excited for Christmas, too because we don't have to go back and forth to all of the different sets of parents and siblings. AND we are actually getting a tree this year. We going to cut one down next week!

Hoenes Family said...

Baby it's cold outside. That's what the song is called. I know because I sang it in choir in highschool. Lame I know. Oh, I just see that Anya has already answered your question! Oh well, I will leave what I wrote. Anywho, the pull-a-parts taste like caramel glazed rolls. They are so good. I think it's a pretty fool proof recipe as long as you don't burn them! I love your tree. I am so glad you are changing your thinking of Christmas. I don't listen to music until after Thanksgiving either. I love the Harry Conic Jr. CD. It is my fav. Okay, I am done.

Hoenes Family said...

You don't need to post this, but I want to know what you think of brisngr when you are done. I liked it.

Carolyn said...

I'm glad you are back to the blogging world! Congrats on getting a big tree. Someday I may do that...

Aloha_Misty said...

I love putting up the Christmas tree! It looks so pretty by the windows in your living room! Your first Christmas in a house of your own! Enjoy it!