Friday, September 18, 2009

Time for an update?

Aw....yeah it has been four months, so I probably should, but I am not. :)

I have had the most interesting day ever. I am going back and forth between thinking this is the worst day of my life and thinking, "at least I'm alive." I can't help but giggle whenever I think the latter. So I have had a sore throat all day and last night. My head has been hurting and I have been dizzy. I was really hot and didn't think anything of it until I went outside in 80+ weather and realized I was freezing. That was my first hint that it was worse than I thought. I took my temp and realized I had a fever. No time to have a pity party though! By that point I was in the middle of making dinner for my neighbors who just had baby #3. So I powered through it. I was grateful it was my fever making me dizzy instead of my new glasses.

Half way through making dinner I realized Caden was being very quiet. I went to check on him and he was laying on the couch, pale. So I took his temp and it was 103. I gave him some medicine and he goes to bed. Luke, Davon and I go to take the meal to the neighbors and see Jake's sleeping bag in the car. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention, Jake is camping! :) So I get back and feed all the kids and while I am eating decide that I cannot knowingly let my husband freeze to death. So while I was feeding Davon I made the decision that I was taking my sick son and my sick self to the campground. I have never been there so I had to look for directions....that took forever! Once I found it I got everyone loaded and we took off.

We see the sign narrow road.... my will to save my husband pushes me forward. It turns to a gravel road.... my will is still strong. After the first switch back I look down the cliff and start FREAKING out. I am panicking. I HATE driving on the edge of a dirt road on a mountain. After the fourth switch back and the 4th car I have to pull over for to let pass and pray that I don't get stuck, Lucas says, "Mom don't go into the water. It would break our car." Not only am I freaking out that my kids are looking over the cliff, but I am panicking because the "water" he is talking about is the Great Salt Lake and is far away. Which means that I would roll our van to our plummeting death before I ever reached the lake.

We finally get there and find Jake's site. They are in the middle of eating dinner. I roll down the window and say, "hey Jake! Want your sleeping bag?" He comes over and tells me he already got one. The guy he was with drove out and got him one earlier. He didn't want me to have to make the drive to the site because he knew I would freak out and hate the drive.... I am on the verge of tears. He asks me how I am. I told him I was scared to death. He asks me if it was busy. I say not too bad.....So I leave to hope that I will make it back to the bottom.

So I made it back and we are all alive. Caden didn't throw up in the car! YIPPY! Bed time was horrible. Lets just say that there was lots of screaming. And now it is quiet. And I am alive! :) HAHA. I have TONS of dishes to do though and I feel like crap. It was quite an interesting night. And Jake owes me HUGE which is nice. The only probably is that once my fear wore off it was replaced with anger. Now though, I have calmed down and I am just exhausted. I wish I could just snuggle up in a blanket and watch a movie. Dishes and laundry await.

Tomorrow should be interesting. Jake will be fishing all day. I hope I survive. LOL.

Oh and sneak peek:

Caden started Kindergarten and is riding his bike without training wheels.
Davon is army crawling, pulling himself to a stand, and has two teeth.
Lucas is hitting terrible threes. Super cute and fun, yet grouchy and rude.

9 comments:

Misty said...

Your bravery and kindness is inspiring...I'd have let Travis freeze...better yet, I'd have made him come home and take care of me! I hope that you all get feeling better!!

Courtney said...

Welcome back to the blogging world! I missed you! That sounds like a horrible day and yes, Jake owes you huge! At least maybe you can laugh about it now (maybe?). Feel better!

Syme Family said...

I am excited to hear from you. I was wondering if you would ever post again. Sorry you have been sick. That is the worst when you have kids to take care of. You are such a good wife to drive all the way out there to give him his sleeping bag. I would have been so mad.
Guess what Robyn is going to be a big sister. I have pretty much felt like crap lately and it's hard taking care of kids when you don't feel good. My house is always a desaster.

Adrienne said...

so sorry. I've been looking forward to an update. hope things get better

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Yipee for you! I became elated when I saw that you had updated!
I read the whole post to Derek and we are resolved to come and see you soon!
I hope you get feeling much better! I hate being sick!

Aloha_Misty said...

Yeah Courtney! I have missed you! I am sorry to hear you are sick. Greg and I have done our fair share of 4 wheel driving and sometimes on those switchbacks I just close my eyes and hope I don't die. I don't think I could handle driving it! your amazing. I was super excited to see your update.

Hoenes Family said...

It's about time! Man, Courtney that is an AWFUL day. You have such a good attitude about things. Yeah, for sure Jake owes you a WEEK by yourself! I think it's easy to see how much your family means to you by reading this post. What a great thing.

Jenilyn Anderson said...

Oh, that does sound like a bad day! It sounds like you and I were sick at the same time. I hope you are feeling better and you guys still need to tell us when a good time is for you to have dinner with us! We would like you to come before we don't know each other anymore! I still haven't even met half your family! That is horrible. Let me know, okay? Take care!

Carolyn said...

I'm pretty sure I would have let Dustin go sleeping bag-less. You are more brave and kind than I am.