Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Busy Weekend

Oh my heavens! We have had a hectic weekend. I don't even remember what we did Friday night, but it wasn't relaxing! Oh I remember now! And it wasn't too bad. We went out to eat because my pregnancy has been getting the best of my budget sense. Jake really wanted Iggy's so I looked it up online and found one in Layton. Then we proceeded to drive around Layton for a half hour. I finally called the hostess and asked her how to get there. Apparently Iggy's is in No. Layton. We were in Layton I guess. I didn't know there was a North and South Layton. Obviously I am not from Davis County. Our kids were troopers though! They didn't complain once! Luke just asked over and over again where we were going, but that is because he is in the never ending talking phase (wonder where he gets that from). He asks, "why?" a lot.

Then we went to DSW! Most of you probably don't know this, but I have been dying to go to DSW since I saw a commercial on TV about it like 2 years ago. Before there was one in SLC. Then for Mother's Day Jake surprised me one night. I had taken the boys to Logan all day when I was dying of morning sickness to get Jake's thesis stuff done so that it could be bound. I drug the boys all over campus just to find out that the signature I needed wasn't going to happen because the professor who told us he would be there decided not to come in that day. But it wasn't all bad because we got to spend some time with some friends and they even took care of the thesis stuff for us so I wouldn't have to make another day trip (THANK YOU DEREK AND JENNY)! Anywho, when I got home and got the kids to bed, Jake had a DSW gift card waiting for me. What a sweetheart! And it has only taken me about five months to get there. Have you been there? If you love shoes, like me, it will be your heaven. There was even a big flat screen playing a football game for Jake to watch!

Then Saturday the van shopping began. We have spent many nights researching about this. Jake more than me because I am so negative about the whole thing. I think buying a house was easier. Anyways, we were out till after 10:00 pm at dealers. Thank you Mama Jill and Papa Steve for babysitting. Afterwards I felt better, only because I had major anxiety about talking to dealers. But when I thought about what we were going to do I was sick to my stomach. Jake and I argued a lot about what to do. Well, actually it was more like he was trying to convince me on what he wanted and I still didn't feel right about anything.

So Sunday we woke up to the same thing many of you did. INCHES of snow. The upcoming snow storm had been major stress for me. Will the sprinkler pipes freeze? Are we going to have a flood? None of our trees have lost much leaves, are our branches going to break? Caden was so excited to see the snow. He called it a "snow party." When Jake and I looked out the window, our reaction was, "oh crap." Our trees in the back yard are really tall and the branches are long and go straight up. There was so much snow on them they were bent to the ground. Touching the ground! So we got breakfast and bundled up to go shake trees. Caden was very concerned that we were going to ruin the snow party if we shook the snow off the trees. Eventually he said, "Fine, you can ruin the snow party!"
I know that tree doesn't look big. That is one of our small ones. The other ones are a much taller than our house. We found out that we had many broken branches, but the worst is the tree limbs that are bent so much from the weight and not broken. I hope they go back to normal. One tree in particular took a bad beating and it is not pretty anymore.

Well it wasn't all work. Caden and I were using brooms to reach the tall limbs and Caden decided to bury his. We found it the next evening when the snow had mostly melted. Using the brooms was a great idea! Good job Jake. I am not very smart though and stood directly below many of the limbs while whacking them with the broom. I got a nice shot of snow down my shirt many times. Slow learner I guess! Jake just had to laugh at me and point out that I should put the hood of my coat up from the warmth of our home. He has been sick for some time.


After we got done with all the trees Caden wanted to build a snowman. So here is our first snowman of the year. The snow was really flimsy. Does that make sense? It was hard to make a snowman. Since we had lots of broken branches we had arms! I asked Caden if we should strip the leaves off, but he wanted to leave the arms "hairy."

I love the snow. Only to look at though! I hate being in it. I hate being cold and wet. Jake always does the first snowman and snowball fights of the year. But I must admit, playing with Caden in the snow may have made getting cold and wet worth it. We had lots of fun. He even helped me clean the snow off the trees and drag the broken branches to the garbage. I am kind of glad Jake was sick. If he wouldn't have been, I probably would have totally missed the snowman and the snowball fight, like every other year.



I just read over this post and realized how wacko I sound. I am totally on a caffiene high. I broke down today and got a coke. I haven't had one in a really long time (trying to be a good mom for butter bean, the baby). I am totally rambling on and on. I try not to post like this. So SORRY!

9 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

I am glad you got to help caden make the first snowman! What a woman! Hauling branches, making snowman, van shopping, you are a trooper!

Aloha_Misty said...

Snow! I love the snow, especially the snowman with hairy arms. So CUTE! So cute! So what "brand" of van did you decide to get, or at least look seriously at?

The Crace's said...

DSW makes me happy and puts me in a shoe daze. It's almost a drug :)

Jana Perkins said...

Your hilarious Courtney. Thanks for the update, and the laugh.

Travis Ti said...

Courtney, if you develop a midwestern accent and start saying "Oh now, don't ya know" I am stealing you and draggin you to southern california.

Syme Family said...

I'm glad you got to be apart of the snowman this year. I love building snowmen. Matt thinks I act like a little kid because I get so excited when it snows so I can build snowmen.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Your first snowman....at your house. It is making me tear up. I love that.
Are your boys ready for Halloween? Ethan still talks about last year. We will miss you guys! Enjoy!

Carolyn said...

You are so funny! Did you end up with a van? I liked the hairy arms on the snowman. Good job!

Hoenes Family said...

yep, I put my foot down. We got 7 piece leather set of furniture